May 13, 2012

Southwell Triathlon

Booooom !!! 1.02.22 !!!

After riding 66 miles in total yesterday, I didn't honestly think that I would be quite fit enough today to put in a performance that I would be happy with, but against the odds I managed to pull a bit of a rabbit out of a hat - this is how it happened :

Swim - 9.53.... Got in the pool for my start time of 9.42 and whilst I waited the minute before setting off, two breaststrokers managed to turn in front of me and that made for a slower than usual first 8 lengths, I suppose though that the slower pace put paid to my usual giddiness at swim starts so may have benefited me. The second 8 lengths were swam at a sensible pace concentrating on quality of stroke and breathing. Hauled myself out of the pool gracelessly in 9.01 and it was 9.53 when I went over the timing mat and into T1. Had I not had traffic in the first half of the swim, it could have been a PB swim, but hopefully that will come together at Woodhall.

T1 - 1.07...A first attempt at a sockless transition and using the elastic band trick - both have worked well and this saved 45 seconds from my Lincoln Triathlon time a few weeks ago, so more than happy !

Bike - 30.24....There was a headwind all the way to Lowdham roundabout and I just got my head down and drilled it as fast as I could knowing there would be a back wind on the way back !  Round the roundabout I went, and then wow, a great little strectch of road, an assisting wind and holding 27mph comfortably !
Legs felt a little tired going up the rolling sections on the way back to Southwell , but in the end pleased to get back into T2 in a time that was 4 minutes quicker than last years.

T2 - 0.48...great little transition, helped by no socks and a healthy portion of talcum powder !

Run - 20.10...My first sockless run, and hell it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be, in fact I could almost not tell at all. I thought that when I hit the slope for the first time my legs might give up the ghost, but no - I felt really strong and attacked it all the way up. In fact my running held up really well and I was again pleased to improve by nearly three minutes on last years time !

In all then, a fantastic day at Southwell, and a great weekend overall !




No comments:

Post a Comment