April 29, 2013

North Lincolnshire Half Marathon

I've been feeling very slow, tired, and sore all week following week 27 of Ironman training so really wasn't expecting much from yesterdays trip to ' Sunny Scunny' for a 13 miler !

Well, in a true shocker, I knocked out a 1.48 out of nowhere on an admittedly fast course, but still running just outside my PB from 2011 by 10 seconds has put a real smile on my face.

I was accompanied by my brother Dave  (from the trademarked 'Team Newham' ) - and we got to Glanford  Park very early in readiness for the early 9 am start. Once I had sorted my number we headed out for a mile walk to the start line with the rest of the 833 competitors and at 9.00 on the dot there was a massive bang and the race was underway.

The course is flat, seems to be slightly downhill a lot of the way and follows a rough rectangular shape - oh, and did I mention flat ! So flat in fact that the early climb over the motorway seemed like an epic climb ! I ran the first mile in 8.15 or so and thought I was going too fast, but as each mile ticked by and the pace got as fast as 8.05 at one point, I managed to pass the 10km mark in just shy of 50 minutes. The middle part of the race was a case of trying to keep the pace going, and once we hit 10 miles and my legs started to stiffen it was a case of trying to keep the average pace at an even keel without it dropping off a cliff !

One final climb over the motorway, and I was running into the football ground, lapping the pitch and finishing under a bright orange arch in the centre circle.

1.48.28 in the end then and a scraped top half finish - a good confidence booster ahead of Lanza.

Next up for me then is Ironman Lanzarote in less than 3 weeks time now and next up for Team Newham is the Birmingham Super Sprint Tri in mid - July !

Busy 'int it !

No comments:

Post a Comment