April 14, 2013

Paul Kirk Memorial Cyclosportive

Today was a windy and hilly 100 miler laid on by the Lincsquad Club based out of Brigg in North Lincolnshire. It was my first century ride of the year and with Ironman Lanzarote rearing up in just five weeks time, perfect timing with a 24mph South Westerly wind replicating expected race day conditions.

We set out from the Ancholme Leisure Centre at 8.40, and I found myself in a group made up of riders from the Harworth Cycling Club. The first 30 miles of the course heads south and into the wind and for this I was grateful to be in a group. The speed averaged 16mph and because the route was mostly hedge or tree lined I didn't feel that we got the full force of the wind although it was still a bugger to ride through !

From around 30 miles I found myself riding alone as the route headed east toward Market Rasen and the first feed station of the day - and what a feed station it was..... a petrol station forecourt ! (Never seen the like and probably won't again !) A quick refill of the water bottle and two slices of brill cake later, I was on my way again and heading towards the hilliest parts of the course.

For the next 10 miles the route was up and down and I wondered on occasion how the f==k I was going to get up some of the climbs I saw before me. I did manage comfortably in the end and at mile 60 the clibing was mostly done. A wind assisted trip North for miles 60 - 86 meant my tired legs got a rest, however the last 14 miles were a real killer into a gusty headwind again and I could only watch as the speed disappeared to a mighty 8.5mph in places !

Legs of jelly and seriiously struggling when I finally made it back to base having ridden 100.20 miles in 6hrs 25 mins ride time. Happy with that for a first 100 miler of the year !

No comments:

Post a Comment