June 09, 2013

Beaver Middle Distance Triathlon Race Report

Pull your bottom lip off the floor, stop being mardy about Tuesdays TT effort, and have a crack at a half Ironman Mr.Newham !

Yesterday, I travelled over to Belvoir Castle to take part in the British Middle Distance Championships :
- 1.9km lake swim
- 50 mile bike course
- 13.1 mile half marathon

Perfect training for the Outlaw, and only decided upon when I'd finished Lanzarote and felt alright the following week. I drove the course on Friday evening, when I went over to register, and decided it was TT bike course. The lake looked lovely and the surroundings brilliant, so I was really looking forward to it by the following morning when I left Lincoln at 5.45 to get to Belvoir Castle at a ridiculously early 6.20 - the race didn't even start until 8am !!!!  Anyway, this is how my race went....

Swim 41.23 (in reality 40.10 - the organisers have to still work out their timings)

I had real concerns about the swim as I'd heard stories of blackness caused by the shallow lake having silt thrown up, but from the get go, I really enjoyed it. Yes, the lake water was shitty, it was pitch black in some places, and there was a little bit of biffing due to the tightness of the course, but overall enjoyable ! I exited the water in 37.50 something which was excellent for me, however a jog 400m uphill disorientated meant I crossed the timing mat into T1 at around 40.10. That was my best open water experience so far.

T1 2.24
Not too unhappy about this as it was too cold to go sockless and I had to get a long sleeved top on as well. probably one of my more competent efforts !

Bike 2.54.28
I got on the bike, and after a little climb out of the grounds its almost immediately whoosh straight downhill to a left turn and a nice long straight dash down the village of Harby. I was very comfortable in the TT position and holding good speed. The first turn to Eastwell and the climbing that followed was OK too as I span easily up the hills and then it was a bit of a dip back down and a sharp climb back up before the drag through the headwind back to the Castle to complete the 16.8 mile first lap. When I entered the Castle grounds I felt something was wrong and my bike tyre was jumping around. I crossed the timing mat for that first lap in 53.04 and then had to stop as the rear tyre was going flat. I had the wheel out to change the tube and then decided that as I only had one CO2 cartridge that I would blow it up and see how long it lasted (bit of a poor decision in retrospect). I managed to get some air in and the tyre was spongy to say the least. This meant the descent down to the crossroads a little interesting, and the long straight into Harby was hard work as it took more effort to turn the pedals. The 2nd time around up the climb to Eastwell was hopeless as the more weight I put on the bike wheel the more air I lost, and by the time I got up the sharp added bit, I had to stop and put some more air in. That meant half a cartridge of air left for the last lap and a bit. I finished lap two in a disappointing 59.52 and then started lap 3 with the knowledge that I might not even finish the bike course. I decided to save the air until the village of Harby and then inflate again before the hills. This meant a slow slog to Harby, and then a better climb due to the air, although by the top it was nearly flat again, one last pump up and then fingers crossed in making it back to the Castle. By the skinniest of margins I made it - with a disappointing bike split of 2.54.28 and 1.02 for the final lap !

T2 -  nice and done in 1.07 - although I forgot to pocket my gels - idiot ! !

Run 1.58.20

The run is simple - its approx 1.7 miles up hill to a turnaround point, and then return back down the the finish area, run over a timing mat and then repeat a further three times !

I felt comfortable on the run, but did feel the 9 miles from two days before in my legs at the start. The first time up the hill was OK, slow, but boy did I feel it by the top. The descent was a lot more fun though and it was all I could do to not go too giddy. First lap completed in 27.37 and now just three more laps to negotiate.
Laps 2 & 3 were a case of slogging my way to the top of the climb, repeating the mantra that any type of jogging is quicker than walking and it was this that kept me moving forwards. At no point did I give in and walk like some around me, and just ground it out in the knowledge that I'd get a rest on the way down. With the third lap in the bag, I knew what I needed to do, to get inside 2 hrs for the run, and 5.40 overall, and although knackered, managed to keep a steady consistent pace and even picked it up a little on the downslope to finish with some momentum in what I clocked to be 5.36.40.

A nice pint of alcohol free lager was waiting for me at the finish to top off a great event with which I am 2/3rds happy with my performance.

Initial results show me as 185th although I expect that to move up a little as it is clear that some people forgot do some laps before crossing the line ! A top day out racing......

No comments:

Post a Comment