June 16, 2013

Lincolnshire RRA 50m TT


OK, so you ride a decent 15m TT on Tuesday, so you think you're ready to up your distance and tackle 50 miles ? ..... Yeah right buddy !

With Outlaw looming in just 3 weeks time, I had to get some bike miles in and also some fast miles so a 50 mile TT seemed like the ideal opportunity to kill two birds with one stone as it were. I hadn't tested myself in a time trial in anything longer than a 25 miler, so I was really in unknown territory as I signed on in Osbournby on a wet and windy Saturday afternoon.

The omens weren't great as I realised that the first 10 miles were the same as the Sleaford 10 where I pulled a '27' and also there was rain forecast with a blustery 17 mph wind - all the ingredients in place for a poor ride. Now all you need is an easily de-motivated rider and bingo there you have it !

To be truthful, the first 10 miles were not too bad, then there was the long slow drag up the rolling road to Grantham into aforementioned headwind and I spent the entire time moaning and thinking about quitting especially when it decided to piss it down. Around the roundabout I went, and felt a little better to be going back down with the benefit of a backwind which followed me all the way to the next roundabout.

After about 30 miles I was done in, and then it was a grin and bear it job all the way to the finish, with an average of 20.something and a time of 2.23.47 to put to my name for my first 50 ! ( Oh well, I suppose its still 50 fast miles banked for Outlaw)

No comments:

Post a Comment