July 27, 2013

Lincolnshire TLI Ashby Road Race

Add caption
Just a day after the world wettest time trial, I drove the short distance to Ashby de la Launde near Sleaford to have a go at my very first road race.

I signed on early as there is usually a cap in number of riders, and was given a number and slotted into group 2 for the evening. there are four groups in total 1-4, with each group set off at intervals with the idea that they will come together on the last lap.
In group two there was about 15-20 of us and we were set off 6 minutes after Group 1.

Immediately the pace was strong and it took me half a lap to get used to it, however once I did, I couldn't stop myself going to the front and doing some work. In fact for the first 3 laps there was 5 or 6 of us driving the group and trying to force the pace with the rest of the group happy to let us do this. Halfway round lap 3
though we were caught, and I was just too spent to hop on the back of Group 3 and found myself right at the back of the peleton.

I hung on for half a lap, but when we rounded a 90 degree turn, I found myself detached and just could not get back on !

I ambled round the last lap with Karen from the Wheelers and crossed the line almost last.

A learning experience is where this one is going to be noted down !

No comments:

Post a Comment