February 23, 2014

Sleaford Half Marathon

Last Saturday, I had to abort parkrun #23 at Sheffield Hallam due to an injury that had been threatening to develop over the past couple of weeks. I had physio on Monday evening and run rested all week meaning I had no idea how I would get on in todays race. 
What I did know that there was a 25mph wind, and that some of the course was muddy, so it was going to be a difficult day ! 

I lined up with 500+ others at the Sports Pavilion at RAF Cranwell, just wondering if there would be a delay, when the front of the field started moving off and we were away. Now, the first mile was on grass and with a back wind I was absolutely flying along to record a 7.07. Then its was onto gravel track and eventually muddy farmtracks but with a strong wind still behind me and a clubmate to pace me through the puddles I felt OK. Got a shout out from a tri club mate and then another handed me a gel - top work lads !  

I was averaging something like 7.37 minute miles as I headed for the mile 6 marker but as I turned left at Wellingore into that headwind, I knew that I would have to work very hard not to let the race slip from me ! the wind was bad and halted me almost instantly, however, I luckily got onto the back of a small group that overtook me and I got some shelter for a mile or so. Those three miles were some of the longest of my life ! 

They did come to an end but not before the damage of an 8.29 & an 8.35 pair of miles - but as we turned left at mile 9 the worst of it was over and I could enjoy a respite from the wind and a nice downhill section to bring the mileing back to a more respectable 7.35! 

This was a stronger section of the race and I felt OK at the pace we were going at TBH.  This all changed towards the last couple of miles though as I began to run out of gas. We were back into a headwind and heading towards the Cranwell base again and there was a final rise toward the end of the 11th mile which damn near finished me off :-( 

Back on the base, and my legs had gone like a footballer who plays on too long at the end of his career ! I could see the finish and it was agonisingly slow getting there. I crossed the line done in, but ecstatic with a 6min PB at 1.42.04 and 161st of 567 - a much better performance than I could have imagined at the start of the day !




No comments:

Post a Comment