February 02, 2014

The Rauceby Ripper 2014


Back for more !

That was the idea when I rocked up at yesterdays 2014 version of the Rauceby Ripper - a popular early season XC run put on by the Sleaford Town Runners. It would be the second year in a row that I would run this event and this year took note of last years conditions and decided to get hold of a pair of trail shoes !

the other special element to the day was that my first claim running club was officially switched to Lincoln & District Runners and I was able to wear the clubs green vest for the first time. ( I retain second claim membership to UK Netrunner of course ! ) This years course was the shorter 7.88m course used in 2011 & 2012 not last years much longer version.

Having trained so well this week and with a target in mind, I felt raring to go when we were set on our way at 10.30.   The first mile was slightly uphill and on Estate roads and the trail shoes felt hard going on such a flat surface. Once we had negotiated this though and had turned right onto our first farm track, the decision to wear trail shoes started to pay dividends as I had confidence to put my feet down as I jumped up and down the bank, ran on boggy ground and dodged puddles. I was pushing the pace and overtook my target runner for the day and stealthily pulled my hat down so that I didn't get recognised to spark a chase ! ( I'm a crafty bugger, me )!!!!

The first couple of miles showed something like 7.36 & 7.37 so I was steadily knocking off some good mileing - aware that I might be being chased down which kept me on it and unable to slack off ! Indeed, I worked very hard in the middle sections of the race into bad headwinds on on the muddy edges of fields. the slowest split would have been something like mile 4 at 8.09 minutes.  There were a couple of feed stations on the way and I chose to have a drink at the second one of these, which I managed to spill when I lost my footing looking over my shoulder !

There was the boggy wood at mile 6 which was even worse than last year, but the trail shoes ate it up and before I knew it I was out onto the road again chasing down what was the last mile. Down a farm lane and over a stile , one last look behind confirmed that I was home and clear from my target runner, and it was a case of running hard over a boggy field to finish what I think was 42nd place overall and a time of 1.01.25 for a good days running.



No comments:

Post a Comment