March 24, 2014

Clumber Sprint Duathlon

Before this event, I had only ever done two duathlons before - one in 2012, a Lincoln Tri training event, and this one back in 2011 where I came away with a hard earned time of 1.23.50.
Fast forward to 2014 them and all of a sudden I decide that my best option of qualifying at age group level is at sprint duathlon, so after a false start and DNS at Grafham in November - yesterday was my first real attempt - so here it is - attempt #1 !!  

This was a standard sprint duathlon so the distances are 5k run, 20k bike, and then a 2.5k run to finish off. The event is set in Clumber Park and is laid on by One Step Beyond. The standard distance qualifiers were going on at the same time so it was busy, busy,busy as 600 athletes descended upon Clumber Park ! It was a nice enough day though - chilly at 6 degrees - with a 14mph SW wind. 

I lined up in the 40-44 age group which went at 9.51 so I knew I had plenty of time to get ready, so much time in fact, that I was 15 minutes late racking which gave me my first bollocking from an official ever.

That being dealt with, I found my wave and got ready for the start... this is how things unfolded ...
1st run - 22.09
My parkrun PB is only 21.42 so you can see that I have to be chuffed with an honest run of just over 22 minutes on a course that has its ups and downs ! I did feel that with every step I was going backwards against what was a very fast field. When I hit the turn I could also see many behind me though which meant that I wasn't having the worst day in the world either. I ran hard but tried to control my breathing knowing that I still had the bike leg to contend with. Mile splits of a steady 6.58/6.59/7.00 achieved.

T1 - 1.07
Went OK, could have put the shoes on the bike however can't be too hard on myself ! 

Bike 32.39
Got on the bike and executed Plan A - smash it ! There was no Plan B ! 
Aimed for a 22mph average bike split and got it - overtook loads on the road and made up a load of places. Did get held up a little and had to be careful as the Bike Marshall was taking a real interest in me, but on the whole I rode it well ! 

T2 - 0.52
Couldn't have done it any quicker, although again had I left the shoes on the bike ....

2nd run : 11.19
Legs had gone but I knew it wasn't far ! Nearly died on the not so steep slope upwards to the turn point, saw my mile split as 7.17 , but was grateful to see the finish shute although had nothing left and had to do with ambling across the line in 1.08.03.

Nowhere near the pointy end, but within the 115% limit so pleased with my first effort overall.




No comments:

Post a Comment