April 06, 2014

V718/1 VTTA 10m TT

Vrooooom !

Yesterday, I had my very first opportunity to have a go on the super fast team swift V718/1 course on the A63 from South Cave to Hull !  It is the fabled promised land of personal best times and I headed up there with a faster clubmate looking forward to having a good crack at my PB.

We arrived very early and signed in at Newport Village Hall. My number for the day was 154 which is the first time that I'd had a three digit number in a time trial - popular event !

It took about five miles of riding to get from the HQ to the start and I had plenty of chance to warm up whilst the numbers whittled away to mine. At 4.34 I sat at the start waiting to be set off. 3,2,1 go and away I went immediately getting down in the bars and powering down a ramp onto the A63 !

The euphoria of seeing 31mph on the clock was quickly replaced by the dread of seeing less than 25mph on what is a very strange course ! Some parts were really quick and some felt sluggish without there being much of a change in direction of profile - I got to the turn with an average of something like 24.8mph and felt a bit disheartened. I also messed up the turn when I didn't pass my minute man well, and the started to take the wrong exit from the 2nd roundabout.

On the second leg, things just seemed to get better and better. Yes there were some bad bits, but the good saw speeds of 27-31mph held, and the final mile or so proved to be super quick to see me over the line in 23.08 for the day and to round things off I managed to take the Handicap and trousered £20 - bonus !

No comments:

Post a Comment