May 18, 2014

Southwell Triathlon 2014


It's been two years since my last visit to what is the fastest (read shortest) sprint triathlon locally. Indeed two years ago I managed to post 1.02.22 on the Southwell course and this years ambition was to break the hour - what could go wrong ????

Thursday, the organisers emailed to say that the course has had to be changed due to roadworks and lengthened - bugger !!!!!!

Oh well, this is how it went ....

Swim 8.59
10,9,8,7,6,5,4 breast stroker turns in front of me, 2, 1 and another, go !  suffice to say, a slower than usual first couple of lengths, lots of traffic, and then nothing ! Swam nice and hard all the way through, flopped out of the pool all salmon like just after 8 minutes, however there was an ickle run to T1 where I took a further 48 seconds...

Bike 29.24
Out on the bike course, just get in the shoes and then a nice early climb to get the average speed nice and low !  A few undulations later and it was onto the flat stuff all the way to Lowdham roundabout where I had managed to get the average above 22mph. (Target for the day had been 21mph). struggled a bit on the way back and didn't take a couple of the rises as well geared as I could have done. Happy overall with a 29 minute bike split though - and this time I only spent three minutes with the elastic band attached to the bike still - so I'm learning :-(

Run 22.58
So onto the run 2.28 ahead of my 2012 time and therefore would have been on for the hour, however I had to worry about a brand new run course which was the full 5k rather than the historical 4.3k passed off as 5k. This new emergency course was 70% on grass and was effectively four laps of a field with some out and back added on. The mile splits ticked by at 7.11/7.24/7.21 so I knew all the way through that it was going to be slightly slower than usual.

The end result being a 1.02.55 performance for the day :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment