June 21, 2014

Summer Soltice 10k

This event is put on each year by Grantham Running Club and is popular with local running clubs - to be frank though, I had never heard of it until this year, so I thought it rude not to enter and tick another local race off the list.

Held on a hot, sticky, windless Friday evening, I was uncomfortable in the sun as we walked to the start and chatted as we waited to get away. My secret target for the night was a steady run at approx 46 minutes something as I had been doing less and less short fast stuff recently.

When the start came hough, I found myself latching onto green vests and then getting sucked in to actually racing one of them - nooooooooooooooo - I knew I shouldn't have done it and should have relaxed - but the racing eyes were on and I pushed through the first mile in 6.48. The second mile was a slower 7.00 and the third a slower even 7.09. At the halfway point I was still battling a team mate and went through in a low 22. I had a decision to make....

Do I........ A) Take the second half of the race a little easier knowing that it would be a good time or
                B) Continue racing like a madman, pushing the limit, and hope to hang on ?

Yep, B every time !

I was slower in the second half, clocking mile splits as high as 7.31, however when I got to mile 5, I put everything into it knowing I had a chance to go sub 45 for the first time. During that last mile back into and through Long Bennington, I knew I had done it, then doubted I had done it, told myself I hadn't done it, and then had to cut the final corner and throw myself at the line to do it !

Running event no.70 and finally, I have gone sub 45 for a 10k :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment