June 29, 2014

TLI Lincolnshire Road Race - Grantham

Well, it was my second ever road race after my first effort last year at Ashby. After managing to finish almost plum last at my last effort on a flatter course, my main concern was completing and picking up some points in the clubs rider of the season competition.

The HQ was held at Grantham Cricket Club, and I was on the ball, arriving early to bag race number 2. The course was a three lap affair of approx 12 miles each on apparently underlating roads. I graded myself as group 2 and joined 10 other group 2ers waiting for our start time of approx 7.05pm. This is how it went :

Lap 1
Started off well with the group working as a solid chainganging unit. First four miles flew by until a couple of riders decided to have handbags and at that point it disintegrated. Being at the back of these two, we fell off the group and it was a real struggle to get back on. I had a rest, and then started taking turns again at the front. There was a long hill at mile 11 at the end of the first lap and I drifted off the back...... again :-(

Lap 2
Could see my group tantalisingly close for about three miles but could not get back with them. Spent the next 7 miles riding solo waiting for the faster groups to come by. When they did, I was too slow to get on and then there was the hill back up to the start/finish line - no hope ! I crossed the line and heard the bell, I had 12 more solo miles to go !

Lap 3 
It really hurt but I kept on pushing solo. Marshall were taking signs down and deserting their corners in some cases. The chaps at the finish line were still there though as I completed my 36.5miles and finished...erm... probably plum last.... again !

No comments:

Post a Comment