June 29, 2014

Woodhall Spa Triathlon race report

Where it all started, and my favourite Sprint Triathlon race !

This would be my fourth Woodhall Triathlon, seeing previous finishes at 1.31, 1.21 & 1.14. Today I just wanted to see a little further improvement. This is how things unfolded :

Swim 8.19
I was shivering at pool side as it had started raining, however, it was bloody great in the pool as the water was so warm. Had clear space ahead of me at the start and felt very fast in the water for the first six lengths. As things settled a little I still found myself swimming OK and flopped out of the pool at c.8 minutes for the sprint into T1 which took me a whole 58 seconds to navigate.

Bike 40.37
Head down, time trial mode ! To make any headway I had to beat an average of 21.3mph gained at 2012's effort. For the first part of the ride it felt like a headwind and that average was just out of grasp. The second half had more backwind and I was able to hold better speed. It was wet though and I struggled to see out of the visor which had misted up. The average rose and rose and hit a pleasing 22.5 mph as I jumped off and ran into T2. Didn't mess around - 49 seconds !

Run 20.32
Forgot my Garmin, so ran this one blind. Chased down a Tri3 guy and then ran with him at pace all the way round. 20.32 not bad for how I was felling on the day.

1.11.16 overall so a 3 minute improvement over two years ago !

No comments:

Post a Comment