August 25, 2014

National Club Relays 2014

Saturday morning and a return to the National Club relays that took place at Holme Pierrepont National Watersports Centre in Nottingham. Just 2 years ago, I suffered a calf injury running into the water in 2012 and din't fancy a repeat last year so stayed away. This would also be my first team appearance for my new Tri Club : Tri3 Sleaford Triathlon Club . This how I got on :

Swim 9.53
First off, the water was so bloody cold ! Its the middle of August FFS ! It was that cold I had face freeze, and also struggled to breathe on my chest - albeit that could have been because I didn't pull my wetsuit up enough at the front. There were 185 of us in the water when we were set off and immediately it was busy everywhere. I took an inside line to the first buoy and started to get out of the way of the traffic. I did not settle the whole way round and was just relieved to get out of the water !  85th position when I handed over the 'baton'. Best swim at the relays by a country mile :-)

Bike 23.02
The best part of any Triathlon ! Going first meant going a little longer but I didn't mind that ! The T1 tag was also long as it was a longer trot out of T1, but once I was on the tarmac of the perimeter road - whoosh ! I was off, full on time trialling mode, keeping an eye on some dubious bike handling, but enjoying the thrill of fast bike riding. We only got to do three laps which was a shame and it was all over too quickly for my liking. 23.02 overall, and I had a long 21/ short 22 on my garmin. At this pointy the team was up to a giddy 36th place ! 

Run 1 20.37
Oh, how I love to run around the lake at HPP, OK, it isn't that bad - its just a long straight run with no end in sight ! I set off on the shorter first run of 2.92km and settled into my usual fast parkrun stride. Considering I've been doing longer stuff in preparation for Wales recently, the run went really well with a 6.55 first mile split seen. 7.05 for the second mile, and then headwind coming back up the lake to average 7.05m/m for the first effort. Hand over the wristband, and then wait 25 mins or so for a second go ! 

Run 2 22.53
A tried to keep warm and stretch in between the runs - in a half hearted, don't know what I'm doing kind of way and then headed back to the tag zone. I gotta say, that second run was much harder than the first ! The lungs didn't mind one bit, but the legs were tired from the first run and didn't want to turn over as quickly as first time around ! First mile 7.07 though which was only 12 secs down on the previous first mile, so not a bad start. From here on in it was a battle to keep pace as there were faster runners coming past me and a real lack of carrots to chase. Sub 23 for the second run, and my contribution done for the day. The team ended up 102nd and the Club had a fabulous first year at the Team Relays and continues to go from strength to strength !












No comments:

Post a Comment