August 18, 2014

Sleaford Striders Summer 10k

Friday evening on a breezy summer evening with a chance of rain - the start of a big weekend of racing and training, and no etter way to start it off then with a 10k run preceded by a two mile warm up to log another 8 miles in the bag !
 
The event was hosted by the Sleaford Striders club and is a small affair with c.160 local club athletes taking place. I met up with a few clubbies before heading out of the HQ at Screddington in what was light drizzle to complete an out and back two mile warm up. This was a godsend as I had stitch and these couple of miles helped get rid of it before the race started.
 
I managed to get back into the village all warmed up like, just about ready for the start, but found myself at the back of the field. Not that I wanted a particularly fast night in any case ! The plan for the night, was to bag the 8 miles in total and get a medal, I didn't want to go too giddy and with 4 weeks left until Tenby I couldn't risk injury.
 
At 7, something went off and we were under way. Snaking around narrow country lanes and held up in the inevitable traffic. Some running on grass later and a conservative 7.33 first mile seen. Then I started chasing down club mates, albeit at my 'team sky' reel em in pace rather than all out racing. 7.14 for the second mile and things going nicely. Tougher third and fourth miles where I held a 7.20 something pace and then it got tough. I was already at 6 miles for the evening and the last two miles were reasonably painful as I started to tense and tighten up and battled to maintain the earlier pace.
 
Crossing the finish kerb thing back into the HQ at 46.31 was a pleasing effort and I think I deserved the chips that I scoffed on the way back :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment