August 30, 2014

Wolds Tough 10

Its in the Lincolnshire Wolds, It's a 10 mile race and its tough - it really does exactly what it says on the tin !

The HQ was at the Swallow Inn at Swallow which is in the Wolds not far north of Caistor. This was going to be Tenby Marathon prep as the run course there is lumpy and as you can see, the tough in this race is the haywire run profile !

I lined up dead last as I was going to take this one steady and soon found out that even the first 100 metres were on an incline. I kept my breathing under control and settled into a decent cadence for the first mile which passed in an uneventful 8.04. I was passing people, and during the second mile the longest of the climbs came and went - again. a nice steady climb not going too mad and thinking that wasn't that bad at all ! 8.47 for the 2nd mile and that was nearly the last run split that I remember ! There was a sharp bugger of an effort at mile three and then a water station to cool down from. At this point I was set for the day, felt OK, and had found my level !

What goes up must come down, and the middle miles saw some nice downhills which I tried not to take too much advantage of for fear of injury and then stuck with it for a tough mile 7 & 8 which seemed to be never ending climbing.

At 8.5 miles it was all but done and I enjoyes the final downhill heading for the finish. 1.21.27 and a good few minutes ahead of where I thought I would be - a good days racing !

No comments:

Post a Comment