October 19, 2014

Clumber Park Off Road Duathlon

How to keep busy racing in the off season ? Well I am a Duathlete now, so to compliment the Cyclocross racing, I thought I'd enter the One step Beyond Off Road Series of Duathlons - the first of which took place at Clumber Park:


Run 22.34
OK, so earlier in the year, I completed the World Champs Duathlon qualifier which was on hard roads and concrete paths. This was completely different. I also was still struggling and stiff from football on Tuesday. It was a 5k/17k/2.5k effort which went out on the same path as the spring event but then goes skew whiff and off road completely. I wore road shoes but didn't struggle with the 1st run in truth, albeit I had to concentrate on foot placement, especially on a 200m or so section that was JCB rutting ! 
Back into T1 after mile splits of 7.27/7.33&7.23 I think - anyway, not a full 5k but just about 3 miles.

Bike 54.24 
T1 took just 40 seconds as I kept run shoes on and used flat pedals for the bike course. A bit muddy and damp, some single track where hard to overtake, and also some climbing surprisingly. Struggled obviously as it is cyclocross after all, but never felt unstable just very unfit ! 
Two laps and back into transition having lost places I think (a first for an OSB bike section).

Run 13.21
Legs completely gone, and mile splits of 8 something showed that - fell further down the field I think, and happy to see the end of the hardest Duathlon I'd ever done. Lots learnt and some fun had. Another great event from OSB.

No comments:

Post a Comment