November 02, 2014

Tri3 Duathlon

I took part in Tri3's very first Duathlon this morning which was run out of The Grange Spa at Pointon near Sleaford.

It was a 3k/30k/3k affair, so a perfect short event to ask some questions about myself and the training that I've been putting in since going proper Duathlete. This is how I got on :

Run No1
Requested and went off in the last of the four waves on the day. My brother Dave was going in the first wave and therefore would be 3 minutes up the road by the time I started.
In wave order, off we went in fours and fives. I went out of the trap far too quickly and the result was that I was already blowing 200m down the road. A 6.50 first mile was not to be sniffed at though and I was already passing people and unfortunately my brother. Back into Transition after 3km after a really good first run.

Bike
Out on the main road and a back wind to start things off. 4km of beautiful easy pedalling, and then a left turn and the wind got hold of the course and that was the end of that ! The bacl part of the loop was a draggy, headwindy, climby mess that killed the average speed off. Although I was catching people, it didn't feel like I was riding that well. Still, by the time I got back into transition I was third on the road so maybe it wasn't that bad.#

Run No2
This hurt a lot. I had pushed the bike too hard like I always do and my legs stung. 3km isn't that bad and I kept pace OK. Only mile split I was 7.21 so a good half a minute down on the first run which reflected how difficult it was.

Overall, 2nd by 10 seconds with a time of 1.14.54 - lots learned today and a very good event.

No comments:

Post a Comment