March 15, 2015

VTTA North Midlands 18k

Not an 18k this year as the course needed to be shortened as there were roadworks at Blyth. This meant that this years edition would be a 6.53 mile effort which would finish on the entry to Blyth and would miss out the return miles on the A1.

Another change today would be the emergence of a tacx turbo this week which meant that I could warm up like a pro before the event - if only they knew I was making it up as I went along !!

My start time was 1.39 and by 1.20 I had finished my warm up and was ready to get to the start. I knew that the first section would be headwind and that the second and third sections would be cross head and cross respectively.

Initially then, my tempo was good but I felt a bit leggy still (it was my second race in a week) as I grimaced my way through the first section never really settling down. When I turned onto London Road I felt I got a lot more speed for my efforts and although it undulated upward I rode my best section of the course.

The final section had one draggy climb on it and I was glad to get over that one - and then all I had down to the finish under the bridge for a time of 16.04 on the day and average of 24.4mph.

Next up for me is the Middlemarkers event on the 29th :)

No comments:

Post a Comment