May 10, 2015

Mike Dixie Memorial 10m Trike Event (V718)

Bank Holiday trike racing part 2.

After racing the 25 on Saturday, I had a bit of a light spin yesterday and was ready for the early trip up to the fabled V718 10m time trial course this morning. It was the first time that I was to take the Trike to a super fast course and hoped that conditions would be favourable for a quick time. It certainly was the best day weather wise over the Bank Holiday weekend !

There were some riders racing today that had also raced on Saturday, and some new faces that I hadn't seen at other events. The start was approx. 5 miles from the HQ so there wasn't much of the usual milling around going on - it was a case of getting pinned up and then out to the start as a warm up.

I was no.7 for the day which meant that I was off within a few minutes of reaching the start. The start is at the top of a ramp which leads straight down onto the A63 dual carriageway towards the Humber Bridge. It was an exciting feeling watching the speed hit 30+mph on the descent and I soon settled into tapping out a good even ride. The first leg to the turn was super quick and I was comfortably holding spped for the most part. In fact, my average was over 25 mph by the turn and I had half an eye on the club record at that stage given how well it was going.

I lost time at the turn though as I struggled with the right turns and then headed down the ramp into a bit of a headwind - bugger !

The return leg was a hard slog into mostly head or side head and I failed to maintain the good average seen in the first leg. My legs felt weary by the end, but I did improve over the last mile or so to record a time of 24.39 and second place on scratch in the event. I did win the Handicap prize on the day and a trophy. A nice end to an excellent weekends trike racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment