September 06, 2015

BDCA 100

Part 1 of a full weekend of TT racing and first off it was a trip over to Etwall for the final 100 mile time trial of the season on the super fast A100/4 course.

I'd previously been to Etwall for the Trike 50 and had come away with the club record, so I knew it was a fast course. That day the wind had been a 10mph Westerly, whereas todays effort would see a NNE of c.12mph, and I wasn't sure how this would affect the course.

At 1.34, I got my chance to find out, as I charged away from the start, and made my way onto the A50 for the first 25 miles into a cross head. It wasn't slo for sure, and parts were still quick, and I managed to hit the bottom of concrete mountain holding an average of 24.5mph. I lost .5 of that climbing the mountain, which seemed harder than the day I did it on the Trike, and then didn't feel as much benefit as i went down the other side. I was though making good progress and got to the halfway out and back leg in good order. the road to Rochester was headwind, but it didn't feel too bad, and I had lost no time by the time I got back to McDonalds roundabout.

On the last stretch back to Etwall, I took my average from 24.5 to 24.9mph, but try as I might, I could not lift it above the 25mph I would need for a sub 4 hour ride. First half done in 2.01.10. reset the Garmin, and get on with the second half....

One stop to pick up my second bottle on the ramp onto the A50, and I saw 20.0mph on the Garmin, and it took ages to climb, first 21, then 22, then it skirted around 23mph !! I was much slower on the second 50 and struggled with the wind. the second time up concrete mountain was a real killer, and I struggled massively. Held 23mph by the top, but lacked the power needed to build on that on the way back. It climbed for sure, but not as quickly as I'd like. the Rochester leg was a grin and bear it, and the last 12 miles was a head down and give it everything. My ave. rose to 23.7mph in the end, and that second leg took a shade over 2.07 to complete.

The time overall was 4.08.11 - a distance PB of 12 minutes. I should be pleased, however, I came away knowing that I can go better on this course - next year hopefully !

No comments:

Post a Comment