February 07, 2016

Rauceby Ripper 2016

By'eck ! I've just seen that it's been nearly 10 months since the last time I wore the colours of my running club (Lincoln and District Runners) at the Lincoln 10k. That was my last running race - I've not been injured since then, however, a busy time trial schedule has meant that running races have been put on the back burner.

This race though is a personal fave of mine and the reason why I've been busy doing some parkruns out at Gainsborough. I had previously finished the Ripper a couple of times - 2013 82nd, and then in 2014 an improvement to 42nd. This years race was going to be extra muddy, and with heavy rain forecast and strong winds - a real war of attrition type race was expected.

I lined up ready for my 10.30 start, and the weather had held off. Sure it was wet underfoot and very windy, but at least it was miraculously dry so far. I went off at the start, far too fast and registered a 7.16 first mile, which is uphill through the estate. It was good to be back for sure, so I didn't care that my heart was trying to jump out of my chest.

Onto the main road for a very short section and then a right turn into the muddy farmtracks. Every footfall demanded respect and it was a puzzle for sure picking a line through the mayhem. Out and around the fields, and I was pleased to have chosen trail shoes as they gave more confidence in the slippy mud. I only nearly lost a shoe once, and seemed to be knocking out steady paced sub 8 minute miles.

I was enjoying myself through the grimacing as the wind was a killer and occasionally we saw some sideward rain. This is an honest cross country race so what would you expect ?

The notorious wooded section came along at mile 7, and was not as boggy as I expected. I liked this section as I made lots of ground on the runners around me and when I emerged I knew it was for the final effort as I was a mile from the finish.

One fast mile later, and I was hurtling to the finish line, still with a grimace, but finishing with the kind of satisfaction only a hard race can give you. 1.08.15 and 30th place this year - not bad after such a while away... I'll take that !
                                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment