March 13, 2016

Newtons Fraction Half Marathon

Following yesterdays disappointment at the TT, I wasn't really expecting much from this mornings
half marathon adventure. My PB was a high 1.39 from 2 years ago, and the way I had been running had led me to place a more conservative target of 1 hour 45 minutes as the target. To achieve this mark I would need to run an average mile pace of exactly 8 minutes and that would be the target I would be keeping an eye on.
Club members had told me that there were two real killers of hills to look out for, but it was an interesting course that I would enjoy, a race well worth doing. I like nice courses and I'm not too averse to the odd hill, so I paid up my money a good month ago and entered on the strength of that advice.

The HQ and start was at the South Kesteven Sports Stadium and would start and finish on the track just like the Stockport 10 that I have finished a few times in the past. The course would take us out of G town and to the Vale of Belvoir and back via a towpath and a couple of challenging climbs. 

I was strangely nervous and babbled to other runners before the start which is most unlike me but it was my first HM in two years so I can be excused for the old verbal. 10.30 came around soon enough though and it was a slow first 50m or so as we got funnelled through the starting mat, following that we got out onto the open road and headed toward Barrowby.

My first mile came and went in 7.24 and I though that would be the end of that, and maybe I would pay for going off so quick, but no, the second mile was even quicker and then a couple of miles on the towpath came in with similar numbers. I was enjoying myself but working hard and every now and again I backed off a little and listened to my breathing. When I did this, I seemed to get a little faster and took a few places on the towpath. 

Pretty soon we were in the vale and the first climb was looming - Woolsthorpe - one I had ridden this year I think and a standard vale hill. I just kept check on my breathing and if people wanted to come past I let them go. In most cases, once I had reached the top, I took the place back anyway. 

Middle section of the race seemed to go well and when I thought I had put in a slow mile, it flashed up 7.11 - I nearly rubbed my eyes !! 

Of course, I had been running slightly too fast as the second climb of the day - a real nasty bastard damn near finished me off. We had done 11.5 miles by that point, and my legs were jelly at the top - my slowest mile by far but then I got on the shoulder of another runner and let them guide me back into Grantham at a good 7.20 pace. 

The final mile seemed to take forever and I was very tired, but managed a semi-quick last 300m of track running to sneak a new PB of 1.39.21 - I'm made up with that !





Misty start and then sunny
Temp 8c
Wind 5mph
1.39.21
103/430

No comments:

Post a Comment