April 17, 2016

Lincoln 10k 2016

Eight consecutive years of running this race almost came unglued when I entered the Southwell Tri which was also scheduled for this morning - luckily my complete apathy for swimming as not abated and I entered this event about three weeks ago when I realised I had no chance of getting to the pool!

Last year I set a PB of 42.39, but I knew that I wasn't that quick this year, as to be honest, I'm a bit of a lardy f+cker at the moment having come back from last weeks drinking and cycling trip at 83kgs - when I ran last year I was just about sub 80kgs, so a sub 45 was the target of the day.

I climber over the rope at the start of the sub 45 box and filtered myself toward the rear of it - perfect placement if I do say so myself. The sun was out and it was a bit warm - typical 10k weather as it is always nice for the Lincoln 10k.

11am and we're off. and its all a bit jostly and slow down to the first roundabout and doesn't really unwind until a third of the way down Longdales Road as the super giddies blow up a little and the slower runners have pulled to the side to let the main flow through.

First 3 miles go really really well, posting splits of 6.54,7.01 & 6.57 - maybe I'm not so bad I thought. Next couple of miles ticked by in 7.01 and when I got to the 8km mark or so, I was beginning to really struggle.  I made a decision to get to the 9km flag and then just go for an incredible last kilometre - well, that worked out badly as the tank was well and truly empty by that point.

That last kilometer was a killer and I seemed to be going backwards with every step, suffering in the sun and wilting accordingly. A 2nd fastest ever finish of 43.27 has cheered me up though and given me the impetus to enter my next 10k race.

No comments:

Post a Comment