June 05, 2016

Flat n fast sportive

This'll be a quick one - a bit like the Sportive !!

I took part in Sportive HQs 100 miler from Thorne near Doncaster yesterday with the sole purpose of dry running a no stop strategy for my upcoming ECCA 100 event in a fortnight's time.

The weather was dry, cool as it was overcast all morning, with a northerlyish wind of c.9mph. I was set off on my way at 7.20 with all the other time trial bike riders - I wanted to ride solo and rode past a group of six or so - but they latched on and I spent the first 40 miles to the first feed station in with this group. At the first feed station, most petered off and I was left with a bit of a solo effort until at 48 miles I caught up with two fellas from the earlier group.

We worked a bit of a 3 up all the way through to 72 miles or so, I then I spent the remaining 28 battling long boring headwind roads and trying to beat 5 hours which I did comfortably in the end.

That was that - first 100 in the bag, I now know I can do a hundred on 1 flapjack and one packet of jelly babies !

No comments:

Post a Comment