June 12, 2016

LRRA 50

This is basically the county champs over 50 miles and there were 50 or so local riders entered. This would be the first time I would take the trike as I'd ridden 3 years consecutively on two wheels.

I would be going for two gongs - the all time Championship trike record of 2:19:45 and a secondary carrot of the club's 50 handicap trophy. The weather appeared to be pleasant, albeit we had a heavy downpour as we were warming up, but the course would again be altered due to a fete at Osbournby (looked busy lol) as I drove through, and would again take us twice up the slog to Spittlegate roundabout. This is how I got on...I needed to average 21.5mph.......

Osbournby to Spittlegate
Started well with what was reported to be a gentle backwind behind me. Rode consistently, but lost time on some of the drags as I hauled the barrow up. Got to the first turn ahead of the wheelers around me, but the average speed so far was just 21.1mph...

Spittlegate to Osbournby
Wow, mega fast as obviously its mostly gentle sweeping downhill with just a couple of short sharp uns to negotiate..... average up to 22.5mph... back on track !

Osbournby to Donnington
Felt good considering it was supposed to be a headwind, no probs and kept the average speed exactly where it was !

Donnington to Osbournby
Quick again until about 32miles and then ooomph, I think the wind turned as it was now cross head, and I was really struggling - average speed dropped to 22.1 mph.

Osbournby to Spittlegate
Second time up really hurt and I battled hard to keep the average from slipping below water level. It took all my effort just to get to the top, it was hurting and very slow in places. 21.6mph though and I knew I'd done it when I got round the roundabout.

Spittlegate to Finish
Pressure off, and I was able to enjoy and ride the last leg quickly. Got to 50 miles but was still riding - gor to 50.2 and finished. 3 minutes inside the old record, and winning the club trophy - double job done !

AP 266w (Strava)
Temp : 19c
Wind : 5mph S (fluctuating)
Course C50/2
Pos 28th


No comments:

Post a Comment