July 11, 2016

Team Swift Slowest 90 event

A trike event…..on the V718……in the middle of the week……with little wind….. oh go on then…

I travelled up to Newport last night for a midweek turnout on the V718 on the trike. I’d had a couple of recent encouraging rides and had seemed to be going well on the trike for most of the year.
Couple that with my absolute favourite time trial course (sorry A25/34 but I still love you) and 20degree weather and 4mph wind and I felt like I was capable of beating last years best of 24:39 and finally earning my first VTTA standard of the year.

I’d asked for a late start time, and even though I didn’t leave Lincoln til gone 5, I was there far too early for my 8.22 start.

That soon came around though, and I was soon set off in familiar surroundings and enjoying the first couple of miles of the A63. For some reason I was relaxed and riding with no pressure at all. With this being a slowest 90 event, there were no riders whizzing past me and I think that helped. I reached the turn at 4.5 miles in good shape having managed 25.3mph, but didn’t know what the return leg would hold – I soon found out it was no slower and in fact kept a steady fast pace all the way along the return – my pacing seemed to be spot on and a very fast finish gave a PB on the return leg at 27.2mph for a blistering age record of 22:54 (26.2mph).

7 seconds outside of club record but made up with my ride of the year so far.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment