August 21, 2016

LRRA 25

Another year and another trip over to Ashcroft Fabrics for another LRRA 25 Championships. No, STOP PRESS, new course , new HQ ! Maybe this wouldn't be an open, windy, fenland type time trial - oh wait, yes of course it was!

15mph cross winds and a course with lots of camber - I know, I'll ride the trike and while I'm at it I'll have a go at the all time LRRA trike records needing to beat 1.07.53.

Nice and sunny but windy as hell when I lined up for my 9.28 start. I was already on a camberous road and the warm up had been fun. I shot away and was soon chasing down a club mate whilst another had given up on the day and was coming back t'other way. I settled rarely and was battling the trikes instinct to follow the wind so had to keep on top of it at all times. I was going all right though and with a good carrot and concentrating on the road I found I wasn't mileage watching at all.

The middle section was into a headwind and that was a real speed killer. My average dipped and with that went all hope i thought of beating that 1.07. The next section was cross wind again, and faster than I anticipated. Slowly I clawed my way back but it was a tenuous affair holding the road. Just to be bastards, the course was a real shitter for trikes for the last few miles and whilst back wind fast, saw technical sections and bridges which were a hard test for a tired rider.

I had made up good time in the second half of the race to pop over the line in 1.06.46 - a good effort for such a hard day and a record and SC PB.

AP 279W (Strava)
Temp : 18C
Wind : 15mph SW
Course C25/2


No comments:

Post a Comment