August 01, 2016

Team Swift 12 hour (trike)

It had been two years since I had ridden the 12 hour course laid on by Team Swift, and knew after my  firste there that it would be a good course for a tricycle. I entered and was given the no.10 meaning that the days work would take place between 6.10am & 6.10pm. The temperate would start at 8C and would peak at about 16C. Also the wind would rise from a SW 8mph through to a 13/14mph in the afternoon. 

well, my day started interestingly with a first loop tangle with a Sleaford Wheeler before spending most of the rest of the event on my own, occasionally being passed by riders doing the 50 and the 100 event mainly. For the trike, the bottom loop was the most precarious and this had to be negotiated four times. I was having a good day in the main, battling the wind when I had to, and pacing the trike well. As the miles ticked by, I didn't panic and was really happy to see every ten miles tick off. 

After 160 miles and four laps, we were sent onto the finishing circuit which was the kinder top half of the course and I was really happy about this, and it was a bit of a pep for the last three hours. Things picked up a little and even through there was the giants footsteps and a drag up to a turn to do on each lap, it was fast going eastward and I made up any time lost. 

The last hour was crazy and I had enough left in the tank for a decent finish and managed 219.551 miles for a new club and county record - good days work in the saddle - but my last trike twelve for a good while.

AP 180W (Strava)
Temp : 8-16C
Wind : 8mph-14mph SW
Course V12hr
Pos. 17/27


No comments:

Post a Comment