September 04, 2016

LRRA 30

So there I was yesterday, all prepped and prepared to ride the V718, which was on, and then called off as I rode to the start with no one there !  I was thinking, ooh, I'll be fresh for the next day....

..... and so, I found myself on familar territory, riding my fourth LRRA 30 event at it's new home at Sleaford, on a variation of many courses that I had ridden. 

There was a bitch of a westerly blowing at 15mph and with an L shape course, I knew that today's menu was serving up, cross, cross, back and then block headwind. I'd been working harder than I ever had over the previous couple of weeks as my coaching had started and I'd also felt ready for the V and felt good for this one too. 

I was second rider off so didn't have much of a carrot as I pelted towards the first roundabout and then turned left for the crosswind section which was five miles up and down the Sleaford C10/10 course. I enjoyed this section as I knew it well, and the trike behaved itself. I was averaging 22.8mph and was leading the riders out by the time I hit the Sleaford turn. When I got back through Osbournby and turned left towards Donnington I was holding 22.6 and still had the super blowy backwing section to play with. 

Was it fast, oh yes, it was like being on the E course, it was a pearler of a leg, and there were a couple of occasions where I could have done with a bigger chainring during this section. I hit Donnington roundabout at an average of 24.1mph and then... 

..block headwind for 9 and a bit agonising miles. It was so hard and I had to work, work and then work just to hit 18mph - WTF !! 

A finish time of 1.21.37 was not too shoddy to be honest and it's all good race training for next weekends Trike Champs at Wolvey. 

AP 296W (Strava)
Temp : 14C
Wind : 15mph W
Course C30/2


No comments:

Post a Comment