June 18, 2017

Chasing club records...... and not getting them.....

Over the course of the past week I've had a go at a couple of the club records - the 50 and the 10. I was due to add the 25 to that yesterday, however, the event on the A25/11 had been respectfully cancelled just a couple of days ago.

First of the attempts was the 50 and that took place last Saturday. The club record is 1.52.42 and I felt in good enough form to seriously worry it on a fast course - the one I chose was the E2/50C near Cambridge - a course I knew well (or I thought I did ! ). It was a very hot day and the wind was a 16mph SW - which meant 25 miles of head or cross head. I wasn't worried at all about this as the course as some shelter and is fast in any conditions.

I started hard - too hard as it turns out and paid for it later on in the ride. I went through 25 miles in 52.35 and was on course - then three things happened - firstly I cocked up the top roundabout by assuming I knew the course without checking - turns out there is a section I didn't know about, secondly, I wilted in the heat and from the early pace - and then finally, the headwind did for me. 17 DNFs on the day due to it being a bit shit out there, but I battled on to a respectable 1.56.25 - good enough for 18th on the day - but outside of the record.

The second attempt came on the V718 this past Tuesday, where I would be attempting to better 20.37 on a decent night for the V. I was off at 7.53 on a lovely evening, and again, I felt good.

This time, I reigned it in quite early, learning from the weekend as again it was warm. I kept around 300W and worked on this to the turn. attacking the turn I ramped it up as much as I could on the return, but the backwind was never quite what I expected. No problem with my position or my pacing. a light night for traffic I suppose - but I just missed out this time round with a finish of 20.39 - just two seconds outside of it. So near !!

A PB of 46 seconds though - not to be sniffed at, and it means that I'll get another couple of rides on there this season. Bonus !

The E
Course E2/50C
Temp 24C
Wind 16mph SW
Pos 18/56
NP 249W
HR 175

The V
Course V718
Temp 23C
Wind 8mph SE
NP 303W
HR 176

No comments:

Post a Comment