September 10, 2017

Trike Association Nationals Weekend

My third year of competing at this event - the set up is the same year on year : The HQ is Wolvey Village Hall, and the format of the weekend is the 10 Championship known as the Jenny Noad takes place on Saturday afternoon, and then everyone returns on the Sunday morning for the 25 which is the Stan Spelling.

Last year, I won both events with times of 26:00 & 1.06.58 respectively, and this year I would be back to defend my crown with a more competitive field. I hoped to post some improved tiomes on the last two years...

TA Jenny Noad National 10 - 24.39

My last two rides had seen times of 26.01 & 26.00 so anything better than that would be a bonus. 25 riders listed on the start sheet - a great turnout for this popular trike event. It was a cold snap in September and it was also windy with a strong un blowing across the course, albeit some cover attained from the hedgerows.

It has been a couple of months since the Newbury 15 and I hadn't ridden the race trike since then, just having the one outing on the leisure version this week. I felt it too, as I went off far too hard on the outleg and my power predictably was all over the place. By the roundabout I was blowing and I had a hold up which at least gave me a breather for 5 seconds. On the return I tried to settle down knowing my heart rate was a couple of bips too high and for most part it worked - I crossed the line with a 1.21 PB and a 3rd place finish. A decent outing and a sizeable improvement. Great rides by Gavin and Ian for the first two places. A video of the event can be found here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMSnxmiexc4&feature=youtu.be

TA Stan Spelling National 25 - 1.04.20

Instead of camping over in the wind and the rain, I deceided to cut my losses and have a nights sleep in my own bed. So I arrived nice and fresh and all rested for my 9.18 start in good nick. A change of clothing to Wheelers home strip with fleece arm warmers was a welcome wardrobe alteration as it was brisk to say the least out there. I had previously achieved rides of 1.06.59 & 1.06.58 and today had two goals - beat those times and just calm down as yesterday had been far too giddy in the early offing. Chanting the mantra I set off and did actually manage to put together an early ride which felt composed and competent. I was on the A road before my heart rate started to get to it's maximum for the ride and I could ease a little. I had caught some good riders already, and had made good progress - it felt better than my previous rides but time wise I couldn't be sure. First lap done, and the second lap although a little harder as I tired came and went a little quicker. My strava splits are pretty even stevens between lap one and lap two so my pacing was bob on my my reckoning. 1.04.20 and 3rd place again. Same as yesterday, I'm happy with the improvement !

More trike action here :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG89F0UPr1k&feature=youtu.be


Course K41/10
Temp 57
Wind 9 NW
Cadence 87
NP 311W
Pos 3
HR 175



Course K41/25
Temp 54
Wind 12 SW
Cadence 87
NP 283W
Pos 3
HR 169

No comments:

Post a Comment